Live with a Thai family and in exchange for spending several hours a week helping them learn English they provide food and accommodation! Weekends are normally free to experience the culture by traveling around Thailand.
This is a great programme for people who want to experience life in Thailand and the Thailand culture in-depth. The programme has a focus on cultural exchange and host families are not only excited to learn English but also love to share the characteristics of their country, culture and cuisine.
This is a high-energy and really fun position. We provide the materials; you provide the personality to liven up a family class or dinner conversation! Find out first-hand how a Thai family lives day-to-day. Sometimes there are opportunities to take part in family activities and to meet extended family. Plus, they can show you landmarks and the hidden gems of Thailand.
People with English as their first language to volunteer 15 hours a week helping your host family with Conversational English. That's it. Many Thai families want to learn English or get better at speaking English through conversation. They are willing to provide a private room and 3 home-cooked, healthy meals each day.
- Travel for less.
- You put in a couple of hours each day literally talking, and the rest of your time is spent traveling and experiencing the culture in depth.
- Do you want to learn Thai or brush up on your language skills? We can easily arrange optional language classes for you. It's up to you.
- Tip the advantage to you by enhancing your C.V. by volunteering with the Conversation Corps. Job: "Private Language Tutor." References: Global. It just doesn't get any better than that.
- You "meet" your family in advance through email and phone calls. Each family is interviewed and carefully screened by in-country staff.
- Exclusive materials which will give you "a bag of tricks" as you engage your new family.
Duties and Responsibilities include
- Sharing your language with the host family for at least 15 hours a week Monday to Friday.
- Using our Bag of Tricks and your exclusive membership in the ESL-Lounge, provide creative, fun and informative language sessions.
- Keep your room tidy and clean and respect the host family’s rules and habits.
- Manage your own personal expenses (telephone bills, clothing, entertainment and spending money).
- Be available to help the children with their English homework.
- Play games in English with the children.
- Length: 1 to 3 months in increments of 1 month.
- Locations: Placements may be throughout Thailand. It is possible to spend one month with one host family and to change locations within Thailand and stay with another host family. (Arrangements must be made at time of application)
- Orientation: Provided in country by local staff in Bangkok over 3 days, includes sightseeing, "survival" Thai and accommodation. Optional in country Thai language classes available.
- Accommodation: Private room with the host family and 3 healthy meals a day.
- Working hours: 15 hours per week. Schedule to be set with host family and tutor.
- Availability: 2011: Jan 24, Feb 21, Mar 21, April 18, June 6, July 4, Aug 8, Sept 5, Nov 7, Dec 12.
- Fluent English i.e. you should have English as your first language.
- 18 - 55 years old.
- Good health. Statement of health from a doctor is required.
- Non smoker.
- A good basic education e.g. Secondary School and above.
Costs PRICE REDUCTION
|1 month||US$ 1229|
|2 months||US$ 1279|
|3 months||US$ 1329|
If available near your placement, assistance is provided in identifying suitable language lessons. The cost of language classes is not included in your programme fee.Please note, due to fluctuations in the exchange rate, prices are given in US$.
What is included in the cost of the programme
- Personalised Volunteer Placement with a host family through our Partner in Thailand, including all the coordination, in-person visits and communication necessary with the local organisation.
- Transport from the airport to Bangkok.
- 3-day orientation with Bangkok sightseeing, accommodation included.
- A comfortable, safe place to live in Thailand, your own private room, and your meals.
- An experienced Programme Manager (and former volunteer) who will serve as your coordinator and liaison with our in-country staff in Thailand.
- In-country basic language assistance.
- Professional, locally-based staff to provide orientation, supervision and guidance throughout your stay.
- Extensive medical, accident and dental insurance along with emergency evacuation insurance.
- Important documents, including in-depth pre-departure packs, orientation information, and all in-country informational materials.
- 24-hour emergency hotline.
- Our own text book, A Tutor's Guide--Teaching English To Families and Children.
What is not included in the cost of the programme
- Local transportation.
- Personal spending money.
- Visa fees.
Once we receive all documents (host family letter, photos, etc.) we will need 2 full months to find a suitable family. Please allow for this in your travel plans.
Photos and Videos
Please check back later to see if someone has uploaded a video.