Volunteer 20 hours each week in Turkey in exchange for room and board. Conversation Partners tutor adults enrolled in community centre classes. Weekends are usually free for Conversation Partners to explore local sites.
This is a high-energy and fun position. We provide the materials; you provide the personality to liven up an informal conversation class! Find out first-hand how Turkish people live and work day-to-day. Sometimes there are opportunities to take part in activities. Plus the locals can show you landmarks and hidden gems.
Volunteer 20 hours a week helping students with Conversational English. The Community Center is located in the Kadikoy district of Istanbul (Kadikoy is the residential and business center of the Asian side of Istanbul.) The Center offers courses on careers, technical classes, and other adult education classes to the general public. The goal of the center is to provide public, professional course to help the local community in job enhancement and to help establish their own businesses. Additionally, the center offers classes that try to preserve Turkish traditional music, folk dance and handcrafts. There are also language courses and conversation groups to help people learn and practice foreign languages.
- Travel for less.
- You put in a couple of hours each day literally talking, and the rest of your time is spent travelling and experiencing the culture in depth.
- Tip the advantage to you by enhancing your C.V. by volunteering as a Conversation Partner. Job: "Language Tutor." References: Global. It just doesn't get any better than that.
- You "meet" your group in advance through email and phone calls. Each organisation is interviewed and carefully screened by in-country staff.
- Exclusive materials written which will give you "a bag of tricks" as you engage your new "students".
Duties and Responsibilities include
- Sharing your language with the host business or organisation for at least 20 hours a week on a schedule agreed to with your host institution.
- Using our Bag of Tricks, provide creative, fun and informative conversation sessions.
- Do not be late to tutor your group.
- Manage your own personal expenses (telephone bills, clothing, entertainment and spending money).
- Length: 4 weeks.
- Locations: Kadikoy: residential and business center of Asian section of Istanbul.
- Orientation: Provided in country by local staff. Tutors can take classes at the Center in traditional Turkish arts, music, or folk dancing for no charge.
- Accommodation: Private room with a host family. Breakfast and Dinner is provided by the host family. Lunch included while at the center tutoring.
- Working hours: 20 hours per week. The center is open 9 am-9 pm.
- Availability: Arrival on weekdays between 9 am and 7 pm.
- Fluent English i.e. you should have English as your first language.
- 21 years old and over.
- Good health.
- A good basic education e.g. Secondary School and above.
Costs PRICE REDUCTION
|4 weeks||US$ 1337|
Please note, due to fluctuations in the exchange rate, prices are given in US$.
What is included in the cost of the programme
- Personalised Volunteer Placement at the center in Istanbul, including all the coordination, in-person visits and communication necessary with the local organisation.
- Airport transfers.
- Your orientation by a local coordinator.
- A comfortable, safe place to live in Turkey, your own private room, all of your meals. If you do not live on-site, or within walking distance of your tutoring site, transportation will be provided.
- An experienced Programme Manager (and former volunteer) who will serve as your coordinator and liaison with our partner’s in-country staff in Turkey.
- In-country basic language assistance.
- Professional, locally-based staff to provide orientation, supervision and guidance throughout your stay.
- Extensive medical, accident and dental insurance along with emergency evacuation insurance.
- Important documents, including in-depth pre-departure packs, orientation information, and all in-country informational materials.
- Country-based airport transportation.
- 24-hour emergency hotline.
- Our own text book.
What is not included in the cost of the programme
- Personal spending money.
- Visa costs.
Photos and Videos
Please check back later to see if someone has uploaded a video.