Mobile Clinic and Red Cross, Ecuador
MEDICAL SERVICES IN ECUADOR ARE LIMITED AND DON'T ALWAYS REACH ALL OF THE POPULATION.
One of the main problems with medical services in Ecuador relates to the low numbers of medical professionals. In rural areas it is estimated that two doctors for every 1000 habitants work in medical centers and hospitals, the others are resident doctors and interns. Approximately 30% of the population does not have access to the public heath service, and private service is not affordable for them.
Institutions such as the Ecuadorian Red Cross work to give a better health assistance to the Ecuadorian population. It offers health care service in different areas. The Ecuadorian Red Cross also developed a mobile and dental clinic program in Quito with the purpose of giving proper health assistance to schools in rural communities. (Closed during summer vacations: June, July and August). Volunteers can assist local doctors during their visits to the communities two or three times a week according to the needs of the communities. Participants can choose to volunteer with the medical center, the mobile clinic, or experience both.
Duties and Responsibilities Include
The volunteers are expected to perform basic medical procedures at the beginning
- Assisting with first aid procedures such as treating wounds and doing tests
- Helping with basic tasks in the emergency room
- Assisting in the laboratory
- Working in the pharmacy
- Doing simple administrative work
- Assisting with physical therapy
- Assisting with small surgeries
- Assisting in the blood testing laboratory
- Working in the rehabilitation clinic
- Length : 2 - 12 weeks
- Location : Quito (capital city) and Latacunga - Cotopaxi Province
- Orientation : Provided in country by locally based staff
- Accommodation : Room with a host family and 2 meals per day
- Availability : Year round. (Dental and mobile clinic not available July and August.)
- Intermediate Spanish is required
|2 weeks||US$ 1345|
|4 weeks||US$ 1705|
|6 weeks||US$ 2005|
|8 weeks||US$ 2305|
|12 weeks||US$ 2905|
Please note, due to fluctuations in the exchange rate, prices are given in US$.
Spanish lessons can be taken at an additional cost
What is included in the cost of the programme
- Personalized Volunteer placement in Ecuador, based on your skills and interests, including all the coordination, in-person visits and communication necessary with the local organisation.
- Orientation including a walking tour of Quito.
- A comfortable, safe place to live in Quito area, the basic amenities, all of your meals except lunch, and transportation from the airport to your homestay.
- An experienced U.S. based Programme Manager (and former volunteer) who will serve as your coordinator and liaison with our in-country staff in Ecuador.
- In-country basic language assistance
- Professional, locally-based staff to provide orientation, supervision and guidance throughout your stay.
- Extensive medical, accident and dental insurance along with emergency evacuation insurance.
- Important documents, including in-depth pre-departure packs, orientation information, and all in-country informational materials.
- A free phone 24-hour emergency hotline in the U.S.
What is not included in the cost of the programme
- Visa Costs.
- Local transportation
- Personal spending money.